Have you ever wondered how many allergens and bacteria settle into your carpets and upholstery? Here are some crazy facts to understand more about home allergies.
The Prevalence of Allergies in The U.S.
- 1 in 5 Americans deals with allergies. Technically, this means that allergies are the 5th leading chronic disease in the U.S.!
- Americans spend $11 billion every year on average for allergy medications and $1.3 billion for allergy-related trips to the doctor.
- For most of us, nearly our entire waking lives are spent indoors (90% of the time!). And more often than not, the indoors can be anywhere from 2 to 100 times MORE polluted than outside!
- About 40 million Americans have seasonal indoor or outdoor allergies and this number is still growing. Since 1970, the number of victims with seasonal-allergies has doubled!
Crazy Statistics on Allergens
Pet Dander. About 5-10% of Americans are allergic to pet dander even though the majority of US homes have a cat or dog.
Pollen. About 1 in 7 people suffer from pollen allergies. Pollen is transported from the outdoors to the inside of your home by the wind, pets, clothes, hair, ventilation, and other methods.
Bacteria. Which is cleaner: your carpets or your toilet? The average square inch of carpet has about 200,000 bacteria living on it. That is nearly 4,000 times more than a square inch of toilet seat!
Dust Mites. Dust can be practically anywhere, and approximately 20 million Americans have a dust mite allergy. These mites are so small, 2,000 can live on one ounce of carpet dust!
Mold. Imagine this: 70% of homes have mold growing behind the walls. Mold is to blame for 93% of chronic sinus infections.
Dirt. Even carpet that looks clean can hold as much as a pound of dirt in a single square yard.
How To Keep Allergens Out of Your Home
- Use doormats and area rugs in high-traffic areas and entryways.
- Vacuum weekly to keep carpets and area rugs clean.
- Have your carpet and furniture professionally cleaned every 3-4 months.
- Wash bedding regularly. Consider switching out padded covers that are difficult to clean for an allergy resistant, easy-to-clean alternative.
- Keep your pets bathed.
- Regularly replace filters and heating and air conditioning units.
- Control temperature levels in your home. Relative humidity should be below 50% and the thermostat should be at or around 70 degrees F.
- Close windows to prevent outdoor allergens from entering.
How Chem-Dry Can Help
An independent laboratory conducted a Home Healthy Study that found that Chem-Dry’s Hot Carbonating Extraction process removed 98% of common allergens from carpet and upholstery (including dog and cat dander and dust mites) and 89% of airborne bacteria!
Omega Chem-Dry has become the experts at keeping your family and pets safe and healthy. We do everything we can to stay green and environmentally friendly while providing a top-notch cleaning service.
Are you ready for a much cleaner home? Get your FREE price estimate today!